Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Getting Help

Where To Get Help for an Alcohol-Related Problem

Who To Talk to

If you or a friend are struggling with alcohol, know that you can take control and recovery is possible. If you suspect that you or a friend has an alcohol problem, there are many treatment options available, and the earlier you get help, the better. Talk with a trusted adult, such as a parent, family member, coach, school counselor, doctor, certified substance use counselor, or a leader in your faith community. 

Please note, adolescents have many different issues that need to be addressed in different ways, and treatments for adolescents are often different than for adults. For example, there are no alcohol treatment medications that have been approved for adolescents to use. 

Counseling for adolescents may use different techniques and often places much greater emphasis on family therapy. In addition, teens need to build different skills and coping strategies than adults. 

All of these factors make it important to find treatment providers who have special expertise in treating adolescents. 

To find alcohol, drug, or mental health treatment facilities and programs around the country that provide help for teens, visit

What To Do in an Emergency

Health Crisis

If you or someone you know is having an emergency, call 911 immediately. See the following for information on what to do if someone is having an alcohol overdose (also called "alcohol poisoning") and for resources to access for a mental health emergency.

Alcohol Overdose

Symptoms of alcohol overdose include mental confusion, difficulty remaining conscious, vomiting, seizures, trouble breathing, slow heart rate, clammy skin, dulled responses (such as no gag reflex, which prevents choking), and extremely low body temperature.

Know the danger signals. If you suspect that someone is experiencing an alcohol overdose, call 911 for help immediately. Do not wait for the person to have all the symptoms, and be aware that a person who has passed out can die. Don’t play doctor—cold showers, hot coffee, food, and walking do not reverse the effects of alcohol overdose and could make things worse.

While waiting for medical help to arrive:

  • Be prepared to provide information to the responders, including the type and amount of alcohol the person drank, other drugs they took (if known), and any health information that you know about the person, such as medications currently being taken, allergies to medications, and any existing health conditions.
  • Do not leave the intoxicated person alone because they are at risk of getting injured from falling or choking. Keep the person in a sitting or partially upright position on the ground rather than in a chair.
  • Do not induce vomiting but do help a person who is vomiting. Have them lean forward to prevent choking. If a person is unconscious or lying down, roll them onto one side, with an ear toward the ground, to prevent choking.
Mental Health Emergencies

Many teens who drink also struggle with other substance use disorders and mental health issues, such as depression. If you or someone you know is having a mental health emergency, call 988. Following are some toll-free helplines that can provide information and support:

Health Hygiene

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline

Call or Text 988
For TTY Users: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 988.

If you're thinking about suicide, are worried about a friend or loved one, or would like emotional support, the Lifeline network is available 24/7 across the United States. Services are also available in Spanish.

Health Hygiene

SAMHSA's National Helpline

800-662-HELP (4357)
TTY: 800-487-4889

Also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service, this helpline provides 24-hour, free, confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish.

Health Hygiene

The Trevor Project Lifeline


The Trevor Project is a leading national organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning youth.


Do you think someone close to you has an alcohol problem? Do you have a problem with drinking? Either way, there’s no need to go it alone. You need help right now and several organizations are ready to lend a hand. Don’t worry—they’re there to help you. You won’t get in trouble or blamed for anything.

The links below will open in a new browser window that will take you outside of this website.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

Support for anyone who wants to stop drinking

Al-Anon Family Groups

National Association for Children of Addiction

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

NIAAA has information about alcohol use, alcohol use disorder, and treatment options.

Partnership to End Addiction

Secular AA

SMART Recovery

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)

Other sections:

Alcohol and Your Health
stress woman putting a hand on her forehead
Learn about the effects that alcohol has on the body. Binge drinking can lead to injury and other negative consequences. Alcohol can also lead to alcohol use disorder and many diseases and health problems.
Signs of a Problem
depression young boy looking looking directly ahead
If you’re worried about yourself or a friend or family member who drinks, explore the following resources to learn more about how to identify the signs of an alcohol problem.

Need immediate help for mental health and/or substance use problems?

Call the SAMHSA National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357), or call or text 988 to reach the 988 Suicide & Crisis Helpline

An official website of the National Institutes of Health

Looking for U.S. government information and services?